Four new dormitories to accommodate The Lawrenceville School's transition to co-education were part of the Short and Ford and Partners Master Plan for this independent secondary school campus originally designed in 1886 by Frederick Law Olmsted.
Based on the house dormitories of the original campus, each new dormitory contains two faculty apartments in a separate wing and rooms for thirty-two students on the upper floors. The ground floor comprises the social activity rooms, including lounge, parlor, television room, and support spaces. These dormitories form a crescent shape along a stand of 100 year-old oak and maple trees, linking the older section of the campus with more recent buildings and continuing the campus tradition of strongly defined outdoor spaces.
The design for the Crescent dormitories received a "Commendation for Proposed Projects" from the New Jersey Society of Architects.