Founded in 1936, the USGA Museum supports the study of golf history. The collection contains more than 42,000 objects, a library with over 20,000 volumes, more than 500,000 photos, and several thousand hours of historic film, video, and audio recordings. The project included a 16,000 square foot addition to the existing museum, an early twentieth century structure designed by legendary architect John Russell Pope, and restoration/renovation of the historic structure.
The addition accommodates over 5,000 square feet of new galleries, a new research room to facilitate access to the collections, and storage areas with proper climate control and security for extended storage of historical artifacts. The new building is a wing on the original five-bay house. Two extensions are linked by a monumental space, the Hall of Champions, in which the USGA championship trophies are centrally displayed. Like the main house itself, the new wing is a series of linked pavilions, including the oval Hall of Champions, the rectangular exhibition space, and the apsidal archive room. These discrete volumes are kept low in scale to appear as a dependency on the main house. They are united by brick walls and standing seam roofs, but differentiated by windows or decorative elements that relate to interior activities. Pope’s classically inspired building was restored and renovated to incorporate new offices, meeting rooms, and exhibition galleries.