In 1930, Lawrence Langner and his wife, Armina Marshall, commissioned Cleo Throckmorton to design a theatre in a 100-year-old cow barn in an apple orchard on the Post Road. Since the Westport Country Playhouse opened in 1931, over 700 plays have been produced there, including 75 that have gone on to be performed for Broadway audiences.
Farewell Mills Gatsch Architects, LLC prepared a Master Plan for improvements to the Westport Country Playhouse that retains the character of the historic theatre. The improvements recommended in the Master Plan address audience and performer comfort and safety, and provide Westport and the greater Fairfield County community with a modern year-round performance space. Specific recommendations included: front-of-house and backstage additions containing updated lobbies, ticketing areas, dressing rooms and workshops; exterior garden spaces for informal gathering; new heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems; new stage, sound and lighting equipment; renovations to meet current fire and life safety codes; improved concession facilities and audience seating.
Construction on the project commenced in January 2004. The new theater opened on June 3, 2005 for its 75th anniversary season.